WOOL is healthy, comfortable and durable.
Sheep have been adapting to severe climatic environments for thousands of years. Over such time, their wool has evolved to offer protection from the elements of each season – hot and cold; damp and dry. Simultaneously, man has come to understand the benefits of wool and created numerous applications for its inherent advantages. Wool’s five follicles and natural crimp, trap air, moisture and harmful chemicals so as to improve air quality while keeping warmth inside during winter and outside over the summer months. Wool is a natural insulator but only minimally applied to living spaces – until now
The Science of wool
Principal components are protein molecules, or Keratin. Each is made of hundreds of amino acid units that bind together in a way that allows for wool's unique characteristics A wool fibre is resilient and elastic; it can be bent on itself over 20,000 times, yielding a longer life than most fibers The scaled structure allows for absorption and retention of airborne dust. The helical nature also lends to enhanced sound absorption Volatile chemicals, such as formaldehyde, are naturally consumed from the atmosphere and retained Wool's principal component being Keratin means it is biodegradable
Why we like Havelock wool:
- MOISTURE CONTROL - Wool naturally manages moisture levels against 65% relative humidity
- FIRE RESISTANT - Wool is inherently known to extinguish after smoldering
- LONG LASTING - Extensive useful life
- NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS - Natural characteristics allow our insulation to be devoid of harmful chemicals
- NOISE REDUCTION- Wool creates acoustic advantages in minimizing airborne sound
- DISPOSAL - Wool insulation can be composted at the end of an extended useful life
- INSTALLATION - Blow-in and batts are installed like other mediums but with no protection required
- ALL NATURAL - Wool insulation is entirely renewable and sustainable
Please call us for product availability and cost. We'd be happy to help you quote a project.
Havelock Wools Batts
Havelock Loose Fill Wool
How to figure your bag count.
Wool batts for 16" OC 2x4 or 2x6 framing come in bags.
Havelock natural wool batts are sold in bags. There are 3 sizes:
- A bag of 16"x3.5" for 2x4 framing will cover 90 ft2.
- 16”x5.5” for 2x6 framing bags will cover 60 ft2.
- For 2x6 Advance Framing (24” OC) we have a special cut where the batts are trimmed to 23” wide.
To calculate your coverage estimate, just divide the area you need to cover by the bag coverage rate to get a bag count.